Frequently Asked Questions

Title Transfers for Private Sellers

  1. What are acceptable proof of identification documents for completing Pennsylvania motor vehicle forms?
    1. A valid Pennsylvania Photo Driver’s License;
    2. A valid Pennsylvania Photo Identification Card;
    3. A valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Driver's License;
    4. A valid Pennsylvania Photo Exempt Identification Card; or
    5. A valid U.S. Armed Forces Common Access Card
    - Dependents of Armed Forces personnel must provide a valid United States Uniformed Services
    Identification and Privilege Card (DD Form 1173).
    Each of the documents above must be in the same name as the name listed on the motor vehicle applications.

  2. What do I need to bring with me to sell my vehicle?
    Answer: All of the sellers listed on the front of the title must be present with valid photo identification and the title.

  3. How much does it cost me to sell my vehicle?
    Answer: There is no cost to the seller.

  4. What do I need to bring with me to purchase a vehicle?
    -A valid insurance card with the owners name listed on the identification card (if the vehicle is being registered).
    -A valid PA drivers license or PA state identification.
    -If the vehicle is coming from another state you will need the vehicle or an mv-41 completed by a mechanic.
    -If paying by check you will need two checks.

  5. What will I receive when I purchase a vehicle?
    Answer: In most cases you will get a permanent registration card and sticker. If you don’t have a lien on your vehicle PennDOT will send you the title within 3 weeks.

  6. What if I don’t receive my title within 3 weeks?
    Answer: You have 90 days from the date of purchase to apply for a free re-issuance. If you did not receive the title you need to come into our office to apply for a replacement. There will be no cost if you come in within the first 90 days.

  7. Why am I receiving a letter from the PA department of revenue?
    Answer: All vehicle purchase prices in Pennsylvania are compared to what PennDOT deems is the vehicles actual value. When PennDOT feels you paid less then the vehicle is worth they forward your information to the Department of Revenue. In most cases you would have completed form MV-3 (sales tax affidavit) during your title transaction that states why the vehicle was purchased less than 80% of book value. The Department of Revenue cannot make you pay the rate of sales tax based on the book value of the vehicle but they can request you to forward proof of purchase. Should you receive this letter and have any questions please contact our office.

Title Transfers for Companies

  1. What do I need to sell my company vehicle?
    -You will need a letter on company letter head stating the person present for the transaction is authorized to sell the vehicle. -The title and valid identification.

  2. What do I need to purchase a vehicle and registered in my companies name?
    -You will need a letter on company letter head stating that the person present for the transaction is authorized to purchase the vehicle.
    -You will need a current utility bill in the companies name and the address has to match the vehicle registration.
    - The title and valid PA drivers license or PA state identification.

Motor Vehicle Questions

  1. How long does it take to get a duplicate title without a lien?
    Answer: 4-10 days.

  2. I'm selling my vehicle and it is co-owned, does the co-owner need to be present?
    Answer: Yes, both owners are required to be present with valid identification.

  3. My license plate was stolen and the vehicle is in my wife's name, can I apply for a new license plate?
    Answer: No, only the owner(s) can apply for a replacement license plate. All owners need to be present to apply for a license plate. They also need PA valid photo identification.

Drivers License Questions

  1. Can I renew my drivers license at a photo center?
    Answer: No, they can only take your photo if you have a camera card.

  2. Can Tillson Tag and Title take the drivers license photos?
    Answer: No, you will need to go to a photo center to have your picture taken.

  3. How long is my camera card valid as a drivers license?
    Answer: 60 days.

  4. Can I get my photo taken if the camera card is older then 60 days?
    Answer: Yes, and once the photo is taken PennDOT will give you a valid license.

Notary Related Questions

  1. What time is the notary available?
    Answer: As long as we are open.

  2. Does the notary do house calls?
    Answer: We do not offer a traveling notary service.

  3. Can the notary notarize non-motor vehicle related forms?
    Answer: Yes.

  4. I need to have a form notarized and it also requires a witness.  Do you provide a witness?
    Answer: No.

General Questions

  1. What forms of payment do you accept?
    Answer: Cash or Money Order

  2. If I'm paying by check do I need more than one check?
    Answer: Yes, on some occasions so bring more than one.